Introduction to Customer Discovery
What is Introduction to Customer Discovery?
The Introduction to Customer Discovery course is a taste of the Lean LaunchPad method to give faculty the basic knowledge of how to properly conduct customer discovery interviews; the first step in the commercialization process. This course covers the two main concepts in I-Corps: value propositions and customer segments. By defining what these two concepts mean as it relates to a given technology, it provides the framework that any faculty member will need to go on to the National I-Corps program.
Topics covered: History and Methodology of I-Corps™, Customer Discovery Best Practices, Ecosystem Mapping, The Business Model Canvas (focusing specifically on value propositions and customer segments), Next Steps.
These programs are open to U-M faculty and PhD/Postdoc students to attend.
- Acquisition of customer discovery best practices, the mapping of an ecosystem and an understanding of the business model canvas.
- An expanded network of like-minded peers, instructors, investors, customers and mentors.
- The ability to apply for a $50K NSF grant and enter a National I-Corps™ program upon completion.
- Attend all onsite and offsite sessions associated with this program
- Complete all assignments including the pre-course work
- Utilize and upload information into Google Sites
- Conduct a total of 20-30 customer interviews
1) June 2017 ICD Summer Course @ TechArb Student Accelerator:
- Kickoff: June 8, 2017 – 10AM-1:30PM
- Midpoint Check-in: June 29, 2017 – 1PM-4PM
- Finale: July 20, 2017 – 1PM-4PM
This application is now closed!
The Customer Discovery Fund is available to U-M College of Engineering faculty, researchers and PhD students who are looking to attend a commercialization training program focused on identifying a specific commercial market where a technology addresses a significant need. Teams will receive ~$2,000 to put toward travel expenses and customer discovery associated with this program.
For more information contact Divya Patil Hangargekar, firstname.lastname@example.org.